This is a no-fluff quick guide to the books you NEED to win and become a lean-mean Social Media machine.
Read these books, keep them with you, and they will help you succeed and understand underlying principles in marketing, social engagement, and advertising.
Without further ado here are Top 5 Books You Need To Help Your Social Media Performance:
1. The Art Of Social Media
- Guy Kawasaki
Alright, you knew this one was coming.
The Art of Social Media by Guy Kawasaki (The former Chief Evangelist of Apple) is probably the best book for any beginner or intermediate using Social Media.
Click Here for a great article on what exactly a modern Evangelist, is written by Robert Katai.
If you are just starting out with Social Media then this book will give you the foundational principles you need to start creating pages, building your brand a breakdown of platforms - without going too in depth about the intricacies of the more complex Social Media areas.
2. The Ultimate Guide to Facebook Advertising
- Perry Marshall - Keith Krance -Thomas Meloche
Okay, before you all freak out - yes I know. This book was published in 2015, which is essentially 500 years ago for Social Media. However - it contains an amazing amount of useful information on fundamentals and practices which are still current.
Some of the Chapter titles include:
- A few Fundamentals
- How to create offers that make customers salivate and pine for more
- That quirky little image is everything
The Facebook power editor
Why is this book #2 on my list?
Is advertising the most important thing for business? Yes.
Is Facebook the best place to advertise for business? Yes (There are other options but Facebook outperforms them all).
That being said it is crucial to understand the fundamentals and mid-level dynamics of Social Advertising on the biggest platform in the world. This book is a solid foundational guide and goes over advance strategy in significant depth. There are more advanced books - however, if you are looking for a book to bring you from 0 to an intermediate level of competency this is the book for you.
3. Crushing it
- Gary Vaynerchuk, CEO of Vayner Media
Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Steal it if you have to (Kidding don't do that).
But seriously, this book is fundamental.
There has never been such an amazingly written book on building the foundation of audience creation, and the strategies to build on top of that foundation.
Gary Vaynerchuk provides a no BS way of cutting through the social noise and scaling your audience. He has helped countless people do this before and with this book, he will help thousands more (Hopefully including you) to scale their audience.
He is one of the top Social-Market-Business influencers in the world, and on top of that, he runs one of the largest full-service digital Agencies ever.
4. Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
- Gary Vaynerchuk (Again)
Okay, not to hit you with another one (ha, get it?) from Gary Vaynerchuk, but in this book, he explains the basics of every platform out at the time (It's a bit dated, but if you want to learn about Vine, that's in here).
The key take away from the book is explained in the title.
The Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook mentality describes the methodology and underlying social strategy that you need today to be a successful social media or content marketer.
Your posting and overall message tone must be 80% GIVE (Jab) to your audience, by adding value, communicating, and engaging. The other 20% is where you promote your business to them (The Right Hook) and ask for what you want: a Sale, a click, a phone call, whatever.
If you follow that basic strategy you are sure to win.
5. Hidden Persuasion
- Andrews, Van Leeuwen & Van Baaren
This one is simple.
It provides 33 social influence techniques to help you better understand how to advertise to your audience on any platform.
Don't worry, you don't have to become Don Draper.
However, in order to effectively advertise to your audience on Social Media, it's probably a half-decent idea to read a book on the theories behind advertising.
This book is an absolute killer and gives you simple explanations with a visual for each one to help you retain the knowledge you read.
Alright, that should give you a more than an adequate foundation of knowledge to help with your social media performance!
Go out there and get reading.
And remember, be powerful!
- Jack Heaton
Owner and Founder,
Attention Exchange Media